Dr. Hasnat Dewan
Position: Chair, Department of Economics
InterestsTravelling, and enjoying good food
Research InterestsBanking Crisis
Environmental and Natural Resource Economics
Urban and Regional Economics
Poverty and Inequality
EducationMS and PhD in Economics, the University of Texas at Austin
MA in International & Development Economics, Yale University
MSc in Economics, Jahangirnagar University (JU)
BSc (Honours) in Economics with minors in Statistics & Mathematics, JU
PublicationsSelected Journal Articles:
1. "Challenges in Measuring Sustainability and the Quality of Life The Case of a Small Canadian City," Urban Planning International, forthcoming (in Chinese; translated by B. Li).
2. "Impact of seasonal temperature rise on labour and capital productivity in manufacturing sector: a study with Canadian panel data," International Journal of Environment and Sustainable Development, forthcoming (with A. Khan).
3. "Who should supervise commercial banks for the banking sector stability," Applied Economics Letters, 20 (17): 1531-1537, 2013 (with A. Khan).
4. "Can stress reduction programs really improve job satisfaction and lower health care costs by reducing stress-related symptoms," A. T. Business Management Review, 9 (1): 19-27, 2013 (with L. Hutt).
5. "Central bank autonomy, legal institutions and banking crisis incidence," International Journal of Finance and Economics, 18 (1): 51-73, 2013 (with A. Khan and H. Khan).
6. "Deposit insurance scheme and banking crises: a special focus on less developed countries," Special Issue on New Perspectives on Finance and Development, Empirical Economics, 41 (1): 155-182, 2011 (with A. Khan).
7. "Does the primary condition for a sustainable human development meet the feasibility condition of cost-benefit analysis?" Journal of Sustainable Development, 4 (2): 3-15, 2011.
8. "Re-defining sustainable human development to integrate sustainability and human development goals," The International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability, 5 (4): 147-161, 2009.
Selected Book Chapters:
1. "Chapter 16: Studying Economics can Equip you with the Necessary Skills to Make Smart Economic Choices in Life," Vaidya, K. (ed.) Economics for the Eager: Why Study Economics, Kindle Edition, The Curious Academic Publishing, Canberra, Australia, 2015.
2. "Chapter 8: A New Index to Measure Group Inequalities in Human Development for Sustainability," Romaniuk, S. N. & Marlin, M. (eds.) Development and Politics of Human Rights, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, USA, 2015.
3. "Chapter 12: Tjalling Koopmans (1910-1985): The Originator of Activity Analysis and a Laureate of 1975," Wahid, A. (ed.) Frontiers of Economics: Nobel Laureates of the Twentieth Century, Greenwood Press of Westport, CT, USA, 2002.
Courses TaughtBUSN 5040: Global Economics (GDBA/MBA)
BUSN 5010: Managerial Statistics (GDBA/MBA)
GBUS 5010: Applied Statistics (MBA)
ECON 4720: Sustainable Economic Development
ECON 4320: Econometrics
ECON 3950: Intermediate Macroeconomics II
ECON 2950: Intermediate Macroeconomics I
ECON 2900: Intermediate Microeconomics I
ECON 2430: Global and Canadian Economic Issues
ECON 1950: Principles of Macroeconomics
ECON 1900: Principles of Microeconomics
ECON 1220: Introduction to Basic Economics
BUEC 3330/2330: Economic and Business Statistics II
BUEC 3320/2320: Economic and Business Statistics I
BUEC 3040: Managerial Economics
BBUS 2140: Quantitative Methods I