Dr. Ehsan Latif
Position: Full Professor and Chair
InterestsServing community is my major interest. Currently, I am Chair of the Department of Economics. I am also involved in a number of university wide committees in TRU including the Senate of Thompson Rivers University, the Budget Committee of Senate, the Academic Planning and Priorities Committee of Senate, the Research Ethics Board of TRU,and the Steering Committee of Senate. Currently, I am Chair of the Steering Committee of Senate. I served the Thompson Rivers University Faculty Association (TRUFA) as a member of the executive committee and also as a member of bargaining team for about 10 years.
Research InterestsSocio economic determinants of health and obesity
Economics of aging such as labor supply of older population and retirement
Economics of immigration
Economics of energy
Economics of happiness and wellbeing
EducationPh.D.: Department of Economics, University of Manitoba.
MA ( International Development): International University of Japan.
MSS ( Economics): University of Dhaka.
BSS (Hons.) in Economics: University of Dhaka.
Publications1. Latif, E. (2017).The Relationship between Intergenerational Educational Mobility and Public Spending: Evidence from Canada. Economic Papers ( forthcoming).
2. Latif, E. ( 2017). Relationship between spousal education gaps and life satisfaction: evidence from Canada. Economics and Business Letters ( forthcoming).
3. Latif, E. (2016). Happiness and Comparison Income: Evidence from Canada. Social Indicators Research, 128(1), 161-177.
4. Latif, E. (2015). The Relationship between Immigration and Unemployment: Panel Data Evidence from Canada. Economic Modelling,50(November), 162-167.
5. Latif, E. (2015). Happiness Adaptation to Income: Evidence from Canada. Economics Bulletin, 35(3)1477-1487.
6. Latif, E. (2015). A panel data analysis of the demand for electricity in Canada. Economic Papers (Willey-Blackwell Publishers), 34(3), 192-205.
7. Latif, E. (2015). Income Inequality and Health: Panel Data Evidence from Canada. The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, 15(2), 927-959.
8. Latif, E. (2015). Immigration and Housing Rents in Canada: A Panel Data Analysis. Economic Issues, 20(1), 91-108.
9. Latif, E. (2015). The Impact of Economic Downturn on Mental Health in Canada. International Journal of Social Economics (Emerald Publisher), 42(1), 33-46.
10. Fen, Su and Latif, E. (2014). Bilateral Trade between China and Canada: Trends, Patterns, and Comparisons. Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, ,28(2), 77-87.
11. Latif, E. (2014). The Impact of Recession on Drinking and Smoking Behaviours in Canada. Economic Modelling, 42(4), 43-56.
12. Latif, E. (2014). Obesity and Happiness: Does Gender Matter? Economics and Business Letters, 3(10), 59-67.
13. Latif, E. (2014). The Impact of Macroeconomic Conditions on Obesity in Canada. Health Economics, 23(6), 751-759.
14. Latif, E. & Miles,S. (2013). Class Attendance and Academic Performance: A Panel Data Analysis.Economic Papers, 32(4), 470-476.
15. Latif, E. (2013). The Impact of Retirement on Mental Health in Canada. The Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics, 16(1): 35-46.
16. Latif, E & Miles, S. (2012). Utilization of General Practitioners: A Comparison of Immigrant and Non-Immigrant Older Canadians. Canadian Public Policy, 38(4), 573-589.
17. Latif, E.(2012). Monetary Valuation of Cardiovascular Disease in Canada. Economics and Business Letters, 1(1), 46-52.
18. Latif, E. & Miles, S. (2012). Students' Perception of Effective Teaching. Journal of Economics and Economic Education Research,14(1):121-130.
19. Latif, E. (2012). The Impact of Retirement on Health in Canada. Canadian Public Policy, 38(1), 15-29.
20. Latif, E & Miles, S.(2011).The Impact of Assignments on Academic Performance. Journal of Economics and Economic Education Research, 12(3), 1-12.
21. Latif, E. (2011). The Impact of Retirement on Psychological Well-being in Canada. The Journal of Socio-Economics, 40(4), 373-380.
22. Latif, E. (2010). Crisis, Unemployment and Psychological Well-being in Canada. Journal of Policy Modeling, 32(4),520-530.
23. Latif, E. (2010) .Recent Immigrants and the Use of Cervical Cancer Screening Test in Canada. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 12(1), 1-17.
24. Latif, E. (2009). The Impact of Diabetes on Employment in Canada. Health Economics, 18(5), 577-589.
25. Hossain, B., & Latif, E. (2009). Determinants of Housing Price Volatility in Canada: A Dynamic Analysis. Applied Economics, 41(27), 3521-3531.
26. Latif, E. (2006). Labour Supply Effects of Informal Caregiving in Canada. Canadian Public Policy, XXXII (3), 413-429.
27. Latif, E. (2006). Determinants of BMI and Obesity in Canada: New Evidences from Panel Data. Southern Business and Economic Journal, 29 (3 & 4), 63-74.
Employment History2002- Faculty, Department of Economics, Thompson Rivers University.
1999-2002: Sessional Lecturer, Department of Economics, University of Manitoba.
1993-1998: Faculty, Department of Economics, University of Chittagong, Bangladesh.
Courses TaughtGBUS 505: Global Economics ( MBA)
Econ 3840: Economics of Health
Econ 3610: The Economics of Gender
Econ 3600: Labor Economics
Econ 3330: Economic and Business Statistics 2
Econ 3320: Economic and Business Statistics 1
Econ 1950: Principles of Macroeconomics
Econ 1900: Principles of Microeconomics
Econ 3040: Managerial Economics
Econ 1220: Introduction to Basic Economics
Econ 3690: Business Research Methodology
Professional AffiliationsMember, American Economic Association
Member, Administrative Science Association of Canada